Personal development, health and physical education (PDHPE) is mandatory from Kindergarten to Year 10.
According to the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA), students are expected to participate in PDHPE for 300 hours per year in Years 7 to 10.
PDHPE provides students with opportunities to explore issues that are likely to impact on the health, safety and wellbeing of themselves and others – now and in the future. Students also participate in challenging and enjoyable physical activity, improving their capacity to move with skill and confidence.
In Year 11 and 12, courses available include:
- Community and Family Studies
- Exploring Early Childhood
- Personal Development, Health and Physical Education
- Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation Studies.
Rules and expectations for student participating in lessons
In order to complete the course outcomes in the practical component of this course they must follow the following guidelines regarding their PDHPE uniform:
- Students can only wear the correct PDHPE/sport uniform during practical lessons – New PE shirt/dark blue shirt & Navy Blue Shorts (not regular school shorts).
- Students are not permitted to wear their regular school uniform under their PDHPE/sport unifom.
- Wet or threatening weather is no excuse for a student not to have his correct PDHPE/sport gear. The school has a number of sheltered areas that can be used during inclement weather.
- If a student's correct PDHPE/sport uniform is unavailable another change of clothes must be bought along instead. A note from a parent or guardian explaining why is also necessary.
- If a student is unable to participate due to injury or illness then a note from a parent or guardian is necessary. They will be required to undertake other relevant PDHPE written work.
Students who fail to follow these directions may be given detentions or other tasks. Continued refusal to follow these directions will result in Head Teacher intervention and/or parents being contacted.
Cessnock High School has an abundance of facilities within the school grounds and within easy walking distance. At CHS we have a Multi Purpose Centre, which can cater for Basketball, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Weights and Cardio, Dance and a variety of indoor games. Within the school we also have a Football/Soccer Field, outdoor Basketball court, Cricket nets, and 2 undercover areas. Within easy walking distance we also have an Athletics Track, Soccer Field, Touch Football Field, Lawn Bowls, Tennis Centre, Netball courts, Hockey Field and 50m swimming pool. All these facilities are maintained to the highest standards and offer the students of CHS the best opportunity to perform to a high standard.